Choosing Your Casino: Brick-and-Mortar Vs. Online
Land-based casinos used to be the only way to enjoy casino games. But online casinos came along in the mid-1990s and have provided gamblers with another option ever since. That said, you now have a choice between two casino types with brick-and-mortar and online gaming. Which one should you pick? Let's discuss the advantages and downsides of online and land-based casinos so that you can decide.
Pros & Cons of Online Casinos
Gaming sites have some distinct benefits over brick-and-mortar venues, especially when it comes to convenience. Of course, you should be aware of the drawbacks associated with online casinos too.
- Convenient: You can play online casino games through your smartphone, tablet, or computer-none of which require going anywhere.
- Big bonuses: Most mobile casinos offer a large welcome bonus, which can be worth thousands of dollars.
- Regular promotions: Gaming sites are better than land-based casinos at consistently offering promos.
- Easier to move between games: You can get from slots to table games to specialty games in a few clicks, with no walking required.
- Quicker to change casinos: Looking for something else in a casino? Going from one online casino to the next doesn't take long at all.
- Play demo modes: Many online casinos let you try free demos of their games before making a deposit.
- Really low stakes: You can play most online slots for as little as $0.20 and many table games for just $1.
- Lacks a personal experience: Live dealer games bring a personal touch to online gaming, but they still don't replace the land-based experience.
- Credit card deposits can get rejected: Card-issuing banks sometimes reject debit and credit card deposits at online casinos.
- Not everybody wants to use cryptocurrencies: Crypto is an excellent alternative to credit card deposits, but it does require a slight learning curve.
Pros & Cons of Brick-and-Mortar Casinos
Land-based gaming venues have survived the test of time thanks to several advantages. You can see these perks along with the drawbacks of brick-and-mortar casinos below.
- Social aspects: You can go to brick-and-mortar gaming venues with friends, chat with dealers, and talk with other employees.
- Higher betting limits: Land-based casino betting limits can be worth thousands of dollars, while online casinos usually top out at $500 or less.
- Diverse rewards & comps: A casino VIP program can offer anything from limousine rides to fine cuisine.
- More surrounding entertainment: Many casino resorts have fine dining, spas, nightclubs, and/or shopping.
- No need to deposit online: You can walk up to a slot machine or table game and begin playing with little time wasted.
- Minimum stakes are higher: Slot machines often require $1-$3 minimum bets, while table games start at $5-$10 or even higher.
- Inconvenient: You can't just grab your phone and start playing land-based casino games; you must actually travel to them.
- No welcome bonuses: Brick-and-mortar casinos don't give you big bonuses just for walking in the door and playing.
- Limited "deposit" options: You don't have to make deposits at land-based casinos per say, but you're limited to cash when getting chips.
What's Better: Land-based or Online Casinos?
You can see that both online and brick-and-mortar casinos have their advantages. Therefore, we won't simply declare that one option is better than the other. However, you will likely find yourself enjoying one setting the best based on your individual preferences. If you're a social player who likes being around people, then land-based casinos will probably appeal to you. Assuming you like quickly playing gaming sessions without going somewhere, then online casinos are the right pick.
Of course, there are other factors to consider besides just convenience (online) and the social aspect (land based). We recommend that you closely examine the pros and cons for each option to help make your choice. And remember: you don't have to choose one or the other. You might go back and forth between mobile and land-based casinos depending upon how you're feeling in the moment.
How to Get Started at an Online Casino
Interested in trying online casinos for the first time? As covered below, the process is pretty easy for joining and depositing:
1. Choose a quality online casino (check our reviews for help).
2. Sign up for an account.
3. Visit the cashier section.
4. Select a deposit method and fund your account.
5. Start playing real money casino games.
You don't necessarily have to deposit to play at online casinos. After all, gaming sites offer demo modes so that you can try slots and table games first. But you will need to complete steps 3-5 if you're looking to bet and win money.
How to Get Started at a Brick-and-Mortar Casino
The process of playing at land-based casinos is a little different. Here's a look at how you can start enjoying games at live establishments:
1. Make sure you have cash for the gambling trip.
2. Travel to a brick-and-mortar casino.
3. Sit down to a slot machine and insert your money; alternatively, visit a casino cage and exchange cash for chips.
4. Begin playing the respective game.
5. If you have chips left over, cash them out at the cage; if you have slots winnings, print out a voucher and take it to the cage.
Each land-based casino can vary slightly on how they handle this process. But the above steps are generally what you can expect from brick-and-mortar venues.
Final Thoughts on Choosing Land-based Casinos or Online Casinos
Again, you don't have to make a hard choice between land-based and mobile casinos. Both settings have their respective high points that you can enjoy. But if you're looking for a choice right now, the advantages and downsides of each will help you decide. Our team personally favors online casinos due to their convenience and bonuses. However, you can't go wrong with the social experience, surrounding entertainment, and diverse rewards programs at land-based casinos. Of course, you might consider trying one setting first and then the other before comparing them. Either way, you're going to enjoy some fun casino games!